Monday, May 23, 2005

Pain! Klutz...

today, i was at Cineleisure, trying to find a pair of cheap casual shoes for the jeans and skirts. Went into this shop and took off my track shoes to try out some of the merchandise available. There were these 2 young ladies looking at shoes on a rack and i was behind them, trying to see past them, while avoiding their path. Then, a salesgirl came and in the process of assisting them, stepped on my toe with her heels...

a stab of pain rushed through my toe upwards... i was trying hard not to make a big fuss but it was too damn painful... sh*t.... i took a glance at my toe and it didn't look like it had fractured or anything, but at that moment, it was really very painful lor... The salesgirl frantically apologised and i was trying very hard to reassure her that i was ok and had a high threshold for pain (which had to be true considering the kinds of accidents i go through on a regular basis... =P). So i continued my browsing and the pain slowly ebbed away... but the girl was still very upset about it and apologised to me for 2 or 3 more times, even giving me a paper bag (which she whispered, cost $1!!) instead of an ordinary old plastic bag to carry my shoes! heh... of course, being the true blue Singaporean, i had to tell her, "wah! then you wanna step on my toes for a few more times?"

But anyway, this incident made me really wonder... How many apologies for a perfectly innocent accident is truly enough?

I unintentionally offended someone last December. The worst thing is, i didn't even know what she was so upset with until recently, someone let me into the loop. Perhaps she thought i betrayed her trust about some issues, or that i had cornered her into something, i dunno... But, trust me, i dun think i had done anything wrong, but i guess everyone's perceptions differs, right? Even when i tried to ask her if there was anything wrong, she brushed it off and said nothing. Ok, maybe she truly forgot about it (as she said she did), but there was this nagging feeling that she had not due to the way she was treating me... It was just different from the times before the incident...

Oh well... i've tried asking her for her forgiveness and tried to keep the communication channels as open as possible but it dun seem to be working very well... i can't keep on apologising for something that the other person has denied being angry about right? But it brings me to this question - Am i an insensitive(or clumsy) person?

I mean, i admit that i have my moments at being klutzy (like spilling half of my barley drink onto myself, causing me to smell like barley; or the time when i dropped off the bus, right into the canal, causing myself to have a scar as big as an MD on my leg... yeah, me the KLUTZ!), but i never thot of myself as someone who would hurt another person intentionally... (ok, it excludes my immediate family, but that's a totally different story all together...)

So yeah! what to do when someone doesn't tell you how they are feeling or thinking? can anyone tell me this?

No comments: