Sunday, May 29, 2005

What's your motive?

Recently, i was reminded of someone that i didn't really like. Let's call her X. Whenever X talks to someone, you know that she is wanting to ask that person to do something. The motive of her approaching you to talk to you spells trouble.

The good thing is, she doesn't force you to do what you don't want to do. However, i still dun like the fact that there's always a motive to talk to you. I prefer to talk to one because i want to create a relationship, a connection.

I think that's why i felt quite uncomfortable around X. That experience with her also lets me feel that she's seems to like to monopolize a conversation. I was talking to a friend at some event and she happens to be there too. So she came over and talked to me. Of course i turned to her to talk. However, my friend was not included in the conversation. So, i tried to include my friend but X didn't seem to comfortable and left us alone soon after.

Though i was puzzled, I didn't think much of it until i reviewed the situation again later and my conclusion was that she probably was only trying to get me "prepared" for her suggestion a few days later. We had been through a course together and X had wanted me to do a project together. I wasn't prepared and so i just laughed it off awkwardly and turned away. She must have felt quite upset with me coz she hasn't talked to me since...

Anyway, I think this is not just about X. I find this experience very familiar in the christian context nowadays too. My CG mate had shared that there are times when people had approached her to serve in certain ministries simply because she had that talent. They had not asked God! i was quite shocked, frankly, coz i always believed that when you want someone to serve in a christian context, you need to pray and asked God if that person is suitable. Just because that person is available and has the skills does not automatically mean that he/she was the one God wants to have in that ministry.

The worst thing is: I heard from another friend, Y, that he is considering serving in a particular ministry. When I asked him if he's prayed and asked God about this, he said no but he wanted to try. That got me worried and i asked him to consider it carefully and pray about it. No doubt, God is still sovereign in all situations, but if His people were to blatantly disregard him and just do what they want to do, doesn't that show something?

We have strayed so much from the way God wants us to walk in! A christian ministry is dead when the leaders do not pray and seek God for the right people to serve in it! We have taken the world's perspective that the able ones are the best people for the job! Oh Lord... We need You!! Come and speak to us and teach us to walk in Your way!

No comments: