Thursday, July 07, 2005

Mid-life crisis?

My dad asked me a weird question today.

We were watching a show where the female lead was upset with her dad for favoring males and thinking that all women have to do is to stay at home and give birth to babies. So they had this super big argument and the female lead dashed out.

So my dad then asked: "I'm not like that right?"

I was quite stunned... My dad doesn't ask such personal stuff... He normally answers our questions with grunts of assent or dissent. He also does not initiate conversations so this question came as a shock to me.

My response was, "Huh?"

So he pointed to the tv and repeated the question again. So I actually told him, "No. In fact I think you prefer daughters."

Then my sister butted in and they started to banter. Which left me thinking about this incident... I think if my sister didn't come in then, we would have been quite awkward. Also, what's making my dad so different? He's changing...

Only reason I can think of is mid-life crisis, where he is thinking of rescuing flagging relationships with his children. Well, he has been really chummy with my sister and I must say that I am quite jealous of the easy way they can talk and banter. But I guess he's slowing down and thinking of what is more important so that's good... Better late than never right? Heh...

Ok, I gotta go. I have 2 reports to write before tomorrow and I'm also tired... Just wanted to pen this down. Might analyse this another time.

Anybody wanna give your interpretation of this episode?

No comments: